[Smt-talk] Advocating for the humanities

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Tue Apr 8 12:52:45 PDT 2014

Dear friends of SMT-Talk,

Let me stress that seen from outside it appears only normal that a
community like yours discusses matters that concern its daily
activities. I did not read your recent messages very closely, as many
aspects escape me and as I am not really involved (but for some of my
former students now working in the US), but I found that this discussion
was perfectly justified for an American professional list. My own
similar list in France, musiSorbonne, which, I think, several of you
know, also often exchanges on political issues.

As to people leaving the list for such reason, I must say that I find
some of the comments about Schenker and Schenkerian analysis much more
aggressive and despicable. After all, commenting American politics is
your affair and I can easily skip these messages. Schenkerian analysis,
on the other hand, also is _my_ business and I usually find attacks
against it of the lowest, most contemptible level.

But I trust that most of us agree on this point.

Yours,

Nicolas Meeùs
Professeur émérite
Université Paris-Sorbonne