[Smt-talk] Question About The First 16 Partials Of The Harmonic Overtone Series

Nicolas Meeùs nicolas.meeus at scarlet.be
Mon Apr 28 06:54:56 PDT 2014

Supposing that I understand what you mean, this is a very odd way to
express it, to say the least.

The only direct interval of a fifth in a harmonic series is that between
partials 2 and 3; it also exists between any pair of partials multiple
of these two, e.g. 4 and 6, 6 and 9, etc. Is this the "second strongest
group"? In what sense, "strongest"? And what is a "group" within a
harmonic spectrum?

What you really mean, I suspect, is that the harmonic spectra of sounds
distant by an octave, a fifth, a fourth, a major third, etc., in this
order, are the most likey to attain some level of fusion, In other
terms, the harmonic spectra of fifth-related sounds are the second most
"fusionable" ones.

You seem also to mean that the fusion of spectra related by an octave is
fundamentally different of that of sound related by a fifth ("Today
there is a biology of the octave. But there is no biology of the
fifth.") /Natura non facit saltus/: either there is a "biology" of none
of them, or a biology of all of them. But what do you mean by "biology",
here?

Nicolas Meeùs
Professeur émérite
Université Paris-Sorbonne