[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 05:21:21 PDT 2014

Dear Jay and the list,

I have been thinking about this question too. It is a very important and beautifully formulated one. If the answer to be found then another evidence of theory of form borrowing its terminology from theory of prosody will be revealed.

I can guess that the beautiful semantics of feminine and masculine endings entered music at the time of discovery of the period form in the second half of the 18th century. Approximately at that time the four-foot iamb has become most common verse structure. It is in this four-foot stanza the second line ends with feminine and the fourth line ends with masculine ending. By the way, contrary to the views expressed here on the list, the terms feminine and masculine rhyme are used commonly  in contemporary theory of prosody. Wikipedia does not hesitate to state that. And why do I have to be ashamed of the term feminine ending if nowadays nobody seemed to be ashamed of anything?

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com