[Smt-talk] Gender Terminology in Music Theory

Conor Cook conor.p.cook at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:41:10 PDT 2014

It seems that the foolishness of my post is grounded on the fact that terminology that causes such consternation (and thus carries baggage into or even derails another discussion) is better left unused, regardless of the associations intended.

It must be asked, however, pace Dr. Parsons, whether the observance of the spectrum of sex and gender identity needed to “move [this conversation] forward into the 21st century” requires the abandonment of binaries entirely as they relate to sex, or in the name of progress are certain still firmly-held world views in need of silencing?

I am willing to admit that the latter is necessary, based on my first point that the hard feelings engendered by their usage destroys the original purpose, and to continue the discussion of, in these cases, certain ubiquitous progressions or the accenting of a cadence, other non-distracting words are better suited to their purpose.  Besides, within SMT, we are indeed all bound to the guidelines (thank you to both Stefanie Acevedo and Laurel Parsons for the reminder, especially that this specific example is addressed).

Best,

Conor Cook
Master of Arts in Music Theory
University of Minnesota