[Smt-talk] I-V-vi-IV

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 14:29:12 PDT 2014

Dear Daniel and the list,

thank you for an interesting link. I would enjoy reading this paper if it is published. So, Drew distinguishes the function as label from function as syntactic unit, which opens the perspective for semantics and poetics, etc. Very interesting move. Indeed, that IV chord at the end of the progression that we discuss is something else. It is not just IV, it functions differently.

Perhaps, in classical repertory, the label and syntax overlapped and coincided, so that they have become inseparable or/and stereotypical. Late Romantic and other styles (as well as early Baroque) offer cases where function is not defined by the Roman Numeral label. There are functions that we cannot label because we do not have enough terms. Excellent!

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Institute, Johns Hopkins University
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:35 PM, "Arthurs, Daniel" <Daniel.Arthurs at unt.edu> wrote:

>>Of course, the semantics of this progression can also be interesting.

To that end, I might draw the list’s attention to Drew Nobile’s recent paper at MTSNYS 2014, “Towards a Syntactical Definition of Harmonic Function in Rock and Other Repertoires.” While I have not seen the paper myself, in the published abstract it appears to tussle with the distinction between syntactic and semantic definitions in order to clarify the logic of phrase structure in popular music (with apologies to Drew for any oversimplification).

http://www.ithaca.edu/music/mtsnys/2014mtg/abstracts/popular.html#nobile

Danny

Daniel J. Arthurs, Ph.D.
College of Music