[Historyoftheory] History of Music Theory Survey and Call for Participants

Andrew Hicks ajh299 at cornell.edu
Tue May 1 01:51:52 PDT 2018

 The History of Music Theory Study Group (AMS) and Interest Group (SMT) are
conducting a brief survey to update our membership rosters. We kindly ask
that current or new members take a moment to register their interest in the
group(s) (even if you're already on our mailing list) by filling out the
survey at the following link:

https://goo.gl/forms/pHRF75CsZUtD8H4r1

For the 2018 joint AMS/SMT meeting, we are organizing an open round-table
discussion on "Women in the History of Music Theory." We invite anyone who
would like to participate in the panel that will lead the discussion to
send a brief proposal (no more than 200 words, please) to
historyofmusictheory at gmail.com by May 10; we anticipate that panelists will
offer short contributions (ca. 10 min), rather than full 20 min papers, in
order to maximize time for open discussion:

Since (at least) Ptolemais of Cyrene, women have been actively involved in
creating and transmitting music theory, often to a hitherto unacknowledged
extent, although modern scholarship has recently begun to explore these
contributions. This open round-table discussion seeks to identify the
historical and social conditions under which these activities took place,
while also examining the ways in which music theoretical work by women was
received. Over the course of the discussion, we hope to consider how new
historical methodologies combined with an expanded definition of music
theory can assist in recovering and highlighting these contributions.