[Historyoftheory] Historical Notation Bootcamp 2019, Cornell University, August 5-9

Andrew Hicks ajh299 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 29 08:02:49 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would be grateful if you would forward this notice to potential
participants, who include graduate students in all fields of study, as well
as undergraduates headed into graduate studies. Feel free to circulate the
notice on your departmental or institutional email lists.

Thanks,

Andrew and Anna

Historical Notation Bootcamp, Aug. 5-9, 2019, Cornell University (Ithaca,
NY)

Andrew Hicks (Cornell University) and Anna Zayaruznaya (Yale University)
are delighted to announce that the fourth annual Historical Notation
Bootcamp (https://blogs.cornell.edu/hnb/) will be held August 5–9, 2019.
This year’s bootcamp will take place at Cornell University’s Department of
Music and Carl A. Kroch Library. The four-and-a-half-day seminar offers a
practical and theoretical overview of medieval musical notations, from
neumes to early print sources. Participants will acquire the basic skills
needed to work with historical musical sources, make sense of source-based
analyses, and sing from original notation.

The event is intended for graduate students in all fields of study, as well
as undergraduates headed into graduate studies. Faculty and postdoctoral
scholars are also welcome to apply. No previous knowledge of historical
notation will be assumed, but experience with modern music notation is
expected. The seminar is free of charge (including materials) and past
participants have often been successful in securing funding from their home
institutions to cover lodging and/or travel. We are now accepting online
applications at:

https://form.jotform.us/notation_bootcamp/application

Please note that the application requires a statement of intent (max. 500
words) and a current CV. We will accept applications through May 15 and
will get back to applicants shortly thereafter.

Andrew Hicks | Associate Professor | Department of Music and Program in
Medieval Studies
Cornell University | 106 Lincoln Hall | Ithaca NY, 14853
607-351-6297 phone | 607-254-2877 fax | ajh299 at cornell.edu