[Historyoftheory] HoT Interest/Study Group Session, AMS/SMT 2020

Andrew Hicks ajh299 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 15 07:21:52 PDT 2020

Dear History of Theory Group,

This year's virtual AMS/STM meeting will feature a joint meeting of the
AMS/STM Study/Interest Groups in the History of Theory. At 1:00 pm (CST) on
Sunday November 8, we will gather virtually for a roundtable discussion of
the think piece "Can the History of Theory Be Decentered?" by Alex Rehding
<http://music.fas.harvard.edu/people.shtml#rehding> (Harvard University),
which was published earlier this year on our History of Music Theory Blog
<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/2020/04/03/can-the-history-of-theory-be-decentered-part-i-prequel-five-classics/>).
We're delighted to welcome as respondents for the session Stephanie Probst
<https://sound-matter.com/about/dr-stephanie-probst/> (Sound and
Materialism in the 19th century, University of Cambridge), Katherine
Schofield <https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/dr-katherine-butler-schofield> (King's
College London), and Olivia Bloechl
<https://www.music.pitt.edu/faculty/bloechl> (University of Pittsburgh).

All are welcome, and participants are kindly requested to read Alex's
(five-part)
post
<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/2020/04/03/can-the-history-of-theory-be-decentered-part-i-prequel-five-classics/>
in
advance. (Technical details to follow as the event approaches.)

Andrew Hicks | Associate Professor | Department of Music and Program in
Medieval Studies
Dale R. Corson House Professor and Dean, Hans Bethe House
Cornell University | 106 Lincoln Hall | Ithaca NY, 14853
607-351-6297 phone | 607-254-2877 fax | ajh299 at cornell.edu