[Historyoftheory] Analysis of World Music Interest Group meeting

Roger Mathew Grant rgrant01 at wesleyan.edu
Fri Oct 8 05:05:08 PDT 2021

Dear friends,
Our colleagues in the Analysis of World Music Interest Group have sent along the following call for presentations!  Their deadline for expressions of interest is Oct. 15.
Cheers,  Roger

“For this year’s Analysis of World Music Interest Group meeting, we will focus on translations of music-theoretical source materials from around the world, prioritizing languages that have been historically underrepresented in music theory. These materials can include historical treatises, contemporary scholarly writing, interviews, oral histories, and more: we are particularly interested in extending beyond written traditions to consider all modes of knowledge dissemination.

We invite short (five to ten minute) presentations from interested participants to share work in progress (or completed work) in this area. If you are working on a translation project, involved in fieldwork that is music-theoretical (or music-theory adjacent), working through language issues that arise in your source materials, or some other relevant task, please consider using this forum to share your work. Presentations can be informal expositions, close readings of a translated text, or anywhere in between. We especially encourage talks which open up discussion of epistemologies and/or value systems that differ from those typically attached to Western musical ideas, and which thereby offer lenses through which we can more sensitively engage with diverse musical practices.

Please submit a brief expression of interest by October 15, 2021, emailed to Chris Stover <c.stover at griffith.edu.au<mailto:c.stover at griffith.edu.au>> and Anna Yu Wang <anna_wang at g.harvard.edu<mailto:anna_wang at g.harvard.edu>>.

--
Roger Mathew Grant
Dean of Arts and Humanities