[Historyoftheory] Musical Notation, Inscription, and Visualization SG - inaugural session

Accornero, Giulia accornero at g.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 6 14:48:42 PST 2022

Dear members of the History of Theory group,

The co-chairs of the newly formed AMS Study Group for *Music Notation,
Inscription, and Visualization* are pleased to announce our inaugural
session, taking place on Thursday, November 10th, from *8-10 pm in the room
ROYAL* at the AMS/SEM/SMT joint meeting 2022 in New Orleans.

Responding to the prompt “What do we mean by music notation, inscription,
and visualization?,” the session will consist of the following lighting
talks:

   - The 12th-Century Eastern Mediterranean as a Cross-Cultural Notational
   Laboratory  (Uri Jacob, Bar-Ilan University)
   - Reframing, Rethinking, Renaming: Towards an Anthropology of Notational
   Artifacts (Giovanni Cestino, University of Milan)
   - Notation and Inscription: Considering the Tactile (Virginia
   Georgallas, Berkeley University; Sarah Koval, Harvard University)
   - Works Without Notation: The Social and Aesthetic Aims of Budapest’s
   “Free Music” Community (Nicholas Emmanuel, University at Buffalo)
   - Writing Sancaras (characteristic phrases) for New Audiences (Balu
   Balasubrahmaniyan, Wesleyan University)
   - “I Can’t Read Music”—Music Reading as a Cultural Practice in Popular
   Music (Bernhard Steinbrecher, University of Innsbruck)
   - Music Notation and Analysis in Music Theory Courses (Shersten Johnson,
   University of St. Thomas)

In addition, we will be having a SG business meeting on Friday, November
11th, from 12:30-2pm in the Grand Ballroom. In this first official meeting,
we will briefly present the aims of the group, vote on the SG bylaws, and
call for volunteers for two open positions (Website Manager, Online Talks
Manager). Feel free to express your interest for one of these positions in
advance at *notation.studygroup at gmail.com <notation.studygroup at gmail.com> *
. We will also talk about future development of the group and gather ideas
for a panel at the 2023 AMS annual meeting.

Everyone is welcome to both events and we look forward to seeing you there!

Giulia Accornero (Harvard University, accornero at g.harvard.edu)
Ginger Dellenbaugh (Yale University, ginger.dellenbaugh at yale.edu)

--

*Giulia Accornero*Doctoral Candidate in Music Theory, Department of
Music, Harvard