[Historyoftheory] Report on HoT IG / SG activities

History of Music Theory historyofmusictheory at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:51:23 PST 2022

Dear HoT community,

With some time to breathe after the big event in New Orleans, we wanted to
share with you our report, which is also going to appear in the SMT
newsletter. Thank you so much to all of you who attended our sessions on
site and online and to contributing to the lively discussions!

Very best wishes,
Steffi, on behalf of Abby and Scott (writing for SMT), and Emily, August,
and Stefano (on the AMS)

***

*Report of IG (SG) activities 2022: History of Music Theory *

The co-chairs of the History of Music Theory Interest Group (SMT) together
with the co-chairs of the AMS Study Group organized the
*pre-conference* “Identity
in Music Theory and History”
<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/identity-in-music-theory-and-history/>
 in New Orleans, on November 9–10, 2022. Through generous assistance from
Alice Clark, the conference took place at Loyola University. We are also
very grateful for financial support from the AMS, SMT, University of
California at Berkeley, University of Michigan, Stony Brook University, and
University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna. An excellent set of eight
presentations selected through anonymous review covered a wide range of
topics from the role of music and its theorization in processes of
nationbuilding, the relation between (auto)biographical accounts and
theoretical writing, to theories of temperament at the intersection of
musical, anthropological, and medical thinking. The closing discussion
productively drew together some overarching concerns and perspectives on
the ways in which historical and contemporary accounts on identify might
benefit the field at large. The conference was also live streamed and the
video recordings are available on youtube
<https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0uV6fK2-kWIX6hIw1HCTt85H1YyK2xeX> (also
via our website).

During the annual meeting, the AMS SG and SMT IG hosted a *joined session* on
“The Problem of Translation in Global Histories of Music Theory.” Anna Yu
Wang (Harvard) and Liam Hynes-Tawa (Wesleyan) kindly provided
pre-circulated materials and short presentations on their current work and
thought-provoking readings on the ethics of translation that stimulated a
lively discussion. The session was well attended, with over 40 people in
the room, with a notable mix of seniority and backgrounds.

As always, visit our *website* <https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/>,
or follow us in our facebook group and on twitter, and join our mailing list
<http://lists.societymusictheory.org/listinfo.cgi/historyoftheory-societymusictheory.org>
.

Throughout the year, the HoT IG maintains a *blog
<https://historyofmusictheory.wordpress.com/blog/>* on our website,
co-edited by Giulia Accornero (Harvard) and Siavash Sabetrohani (Chicago /
Berlin). With topics ranging from Persian notational systems to the impact
of the early internet, the blog posts map an inspiring terrain of how we
might think of the History of Music Theory and its future. Please consider
contacting the editors if you wish to contribute.

Looking into the *future*, four of our total six co-chairs will be rotating
off their terms in the coming year: two each on the SMT and AMS sides, with
one each staying on to ensure continuation. We invite everyone to be in
touch about standing for *election* and indicate whether you wish to run on
the SMT or AMS side or both.