[SMT-PAIG] CFP: Researching Performance, Performing Research: Collaborations and Confrontations, October 2017

John Koslovsky john.koslovsky at ahk.nl
Wed Dec 14 07:22:51 PST 2016

Dear PAIG-list,

Please see the following Call for Sessions below, which I think will be of interest to many of your members.

With best wishes,
John Koslovsky

-------------------
John Koslovsky, PhD

Music Theory Faculty and Department Chair, Conservatorium van Amsterdam
Affiliate Researcher in the Humanities, Utrecht University
President, Dutch-Flemish Society for Music Theory

Researching Performance, Performing Research

Collaborations and Confrontations

An international symposium organized by the Conservatorium van Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, Utrecht University, and VU University / Orgelpark, in association with the Cambridge Centre for Musical Performance Studies, University of Cambridge.

"Call for Sessions" Deadline: April 1, 2017
Conference dates: October 27-29, 2017

Conference web site URL:
http://www.ahk.nl/conservatorium/onderzoek/evenementen/congressen-en-symposia/researching-performance-performing-research/

Conference venue:
Conservatorium van Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Details:

The purpose of this symposium is to explore the manifold contexts in which interactions between musical performers and scholars take place, and the different modalities in which such interactions may be conducted. In both the past and the present these have included productive collaborations and shared visions, but also genuine confrontations. The symposium will address not just the overlaps between the activities of performers and scholars and between the different types of knowledge that undergird both musical performance and the performative act of doing research, but also the disagreements, tensions, and failures that may arise when bringing these practices into dialogue. Through this symposium we hope to question and break down the professional boundaries that continue to separate us – disciplines, institutions, musical genres, and attitudes. One of the explicit goals is to reach out to a broader audience and to open up a wider dialogue within the musical community.

We invite proposals for fully-formed sessions , either of 60 minutes, 90 minutes, or 120 minutes. Each session should consist of at least two speakers and one- to two performances or lecture-recitals.

All topics related to the symposium theme are welcome. Some topics we wish to explore include:

    * Performers, scholars, and knowledge
    * Scholars and performers in collaboration and/or confrontation
    * Language and communication: Speaking with, to, about, and like performers and scholars
    * The role of theory
    * Institutional cultures: how do institutions cultivate certain kinds of attitudes towards research?
    * Power and prestige
All full description of the symposium, the suggested themes, and the requirements for submission can found be on the conference website.

Questions may be directed to: john.koslovsky at ahk.nl