[SMT-PAIG] Greetings from PAIG

Edward Klorman edward.klorman at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 25 10:35:41 PDT 2018

Dear all,

Midsummer’s greetings! I’m writing to follow up on this thread from last May about some developments with PAIG:

I. PAIG LEADERSHIP

As you know, subsequent to Andy stepping down as PAIG co-chair in May, I appointed our blog manager Nathan Pell as interim co-chair through November and solicited nominees for a permanent co-chair, to serve 2018–2022. But as things turned out, Nathan was the only nominated individual. Therefore, it is my pleasure to announce that Nathan serve as co-chair through 2022. Congratulations, Nathan!

Looking ahead to the future: we would like to invite any PAIG members who would like to become more involved with organizing the group to please contact us. There are opportunities for PAIG members to assist with the blog (soliciting and editing posts), social media, developing plans for our annual meetings, or perhaps with new initiatives/programs we haven’t yet thought of. We will also need a small working group to look at some necessary updates to our by-laws.

Future co-chairs of the group may well emerge from among these volunteer organizers. I’d specifically like to note that, with the exception of its founding chair, PAIG co-chairs have all be men, so we are especially eager to encourage women who are interested in volunteer and leadership roles.

II. 2018 PAIG MEETING

It is my pleasure to announce that we have invited a speaker to present for our 2018 meeting:

William Rothstein (CUNY Graduate Center and Queens College) will offer a presentation entitled “Since Schnabel: Pondering Hypermeter in Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas.” This talk will last 45 minutes, followed by general discussion and a brief business meeting.

Regarding this meeting format: for the past several years, PAIG’s meetings have mostly been in the form of short “lightning” talks by multiple speakers, selected through blind review. This has the advantage of being inclusive and transparent, but we thought we would try a different format this year in response to some survey feedback from our members. Some survey respondents felt that meetings with many speakers feel rushed and don’t include enough discussion time, so this prompted us to try something different for 2018. We welcome your input about different formats our meetings might take (discussions, debates, invited speakers, themed panels, or other creative formats).

Please feel free to reach out to Nathan (npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu) or me (edward.klorman at mcgill.ca) anytime. And thank you for being a part of PAIG!

With best wishes,

Ed

Edward Klorman