[SMT-PAIG] PAIG Columbus Meeting and Blog

Nathan C Pell npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Tue Oct 29 14:00:35 PDT 2019

Dear PAIG members,

As you begin thinking about your itineraries for SMT next week (!), let me draw your attention to the time and location of this year’s PAIG meeting:  Saturday, November 9 from 12:30 to 2:00 pm in Harrison.  We’re pleased to present lightning talks by Nancy Murphy (“Expressive Asynchrony and Lyrical Meaning in Buffy Sainte-Marie Performances”) and John Paul Ito (“Performing a Syncopated Hemiola and Its Cousin in Brahms”); a group discussion and brief business meeting will follow.

We’ve also had two new posts on the PAIG blog!

  *   Toru Momii has written about performance-centered analysis in gagaku (with a special focus on the shō)<https://smtpaig.wordpress.com/2019/10/25/toward-a-performance-based-analysis-for-the-sho/>.  Be sure to also attend his talk, on another aspect of shō performance, at SMT:  Thursday, Nov. 7 at 5 pm in McKinley.
  *   And I’ve summarized some recent research on the relation between musical form and nineteenth-century tempo practices<https://smtpaig.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/tempo-as-form/> (as documented on old recordings).

Please consider submitting to the blog!  Our guidelines for contributors can be found at this link<https://smtpaig.wordpress.com/blog-guidelines/>.  If you have questions or an idea for a post, please email me at npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu<mailto:npell at gradcenter.cuny.edu> or any member of our editorial board:  Anjni Amin (Northwestern University), Daniel Barolsky (Beloit College), Richard Beaudoin (Dartmouth College), Christa Cole (Indiana University), Edward Klorman (McGill University), David Kopp (Boston University), Ryan McClelland (University of Toronto), Nathan Pell (CUNY Graduate Center), and Victoria Tzotzkova (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).

All best,

Nathan