[SMT-PAIG] Expressive shaping of sound

Tekla Babyak tbb8 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 30 10:52:12 PDT 2021

Hi John,

Thanks for bringing up this fascinating question! It's very interesting to
think about works that offer the performer a leading role in the creation
of meaning. I very much admire Janet Schmalfeldt's work on form and
performance in her book *In the Process of Becoming: Analytic and
Philosophical Perspectives on Form in Early Nineteenth-Century Music*,
particularly the fifth chapter "On Performance, Analysis, and Schubert"
(pages 113-131).

The chapter offers a brilliant reading of how "the formal ambiguity of
Schubert's opening" in the first movement of D. 845 enables the performer
to be "very much in charge of how listeners will perceive the unfolding
design" (118). Discussing a range of recordings and possible interpretive
strategies, Schmalfeldt demonstrates how the performer can influence our
perception of the formal boundaries and goals in this movement.

Always attentive to emotional expression, Schmalfeldt shows how the
performer's approach to form shapes the affective meanings of the music.
She points to certain performance choices that might imbue the movement
with a lament-like quality through highlighting its F-to-E bass motion (see
page 121). Or the performer might choose a more heroic tone by emphasizing
the pitch F as though this note is making a bid for autonomy (page 122).

Thanks again for starting this discussion; now I'm feeling motivated to put
my current projects on hold so that I can head to the piano and try out D.
845! :)

Best,
Tekla

Tekla Babyak (she/her/hers)
Independent Scholar, Davis, CA
Disability Activist with Multiple Sclerosis
PhD, Musicology, Cornell University (2014)
Member of the American Musicological Society Council and the Committee on
the Annual Meeting