[SMT-PAIG] Expressive shaping of sound

Suyin Mak msy at arts.cuhk.edu.hk
Tue May 4 05:03:54 PDT 2021

Dear John,

About cover versions, I've found Ed Klorman's article on 'Girls just want
to have fun' really useful, and I assign it to students in class.

https://mtosmt.org/issues/mto.18.24.3/mto.18.24.3.klorman.html

About Shostakovich, in relation to an excellent performance of the third
string quartet I heard recently, I have been pondering how the composer's
own programmatic titles or descriptions might "steer the meaning and
expression of the music in one direction or another," both for the
performers and for the audience. The following article approaches this
issue from the perspective of cultural/national identity:

Young, Samson. "The Voicing of the Voiceless in Tan Dun's "The Map":
Horizon of Expectation and the Rhetoric of National Style." *Asian Music*
40, no. 1 (2009): 83-99. Accessed May 4, 2021.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/25501602.

Hope this is of interest,
Su Yin

Su Yin Mak
Professor of Music Theory and Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee
Department of Music
The Chinese University of Hong Kong

Tel: +852 3943 1324
email: msy at arts.cuhk.edu.hk