[Smt-talk] rationalizing the octenary system

David Clampitt david.clampitt51 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:04:43 PDT 2009

Hello Eytan, hello Nicholas,

 Yes, Hucbald is clear that there are alternative finals for each tone,
alternatively *lichanos hypaton* [D] or *mese *[a], *hypate meson *[E] or *
paramese* [hard-b], *parhypate meson* [F] or *trite diezeugmenon* [c],
and *lichanos
meson* [G] to *paranete diezeugmenon* [d].

Then, in the passage I cited earlier, Hucbald insists that the lower notes
are suitable for placing the beginnings, not endings, of chants:

Hucbald’s text (p. 202 of Chartier’s edition):

Cum inferioribus quoque quartis et in quibusdam quintis, parem quodamodo
obtinent [hae quattuor finales] habitudinem, quamuis non fini sed initiis
deputentur: usque ad has enim metam inchoandi declinant. Hae sunt.
Proslambanomenos: ad lichanos hypaton…

What follows is what I cited earlier: A is associated with D, B with E
(rarely), C with F, D with G.

The crucial phrase is qamuis non fini sed initiis depetuentur: these [lower
notes] should be assigned not to the end but to beginnings.

So, I think that literally B (the lower element) cannot be a finalis, but
the higher hard-b, can so serve. I agree with Nicolas that our 21st-century
notions blind us to some of these distinctions, above all octave
equivalence.

Nicolas, I see your latest post has arrived before I have finished this one.
I will say that yes, the four maneriae suffice to include the higher notes
in the system, a and c, and hard-b, via socialitas, so in medieval terms
there was no need for six, agreed. As to the meaning of the Hermannus
Contractus phrase, I’ll have to digest your article. I notice you discuss
Crocker, which is where I derive my understanding of that treatise, and that
may be outmoded, so to speak. But, since Eytan asked about post-Hucbald
developments, I note that you begin with this from Guido (which I don’t take
exception to): “Puisqu’il n’y a que sept notes, car les autres, comme nous
l’avons dit, sont les mêmes, il suffit d’en expliquer sept, qui diffère par
le mode et par le qualité.” Your article goes deeply into issues of mode and
quality. But already there is more recognition of seven note names of a
diatonic system (Guido also quotes Vergil: septem discrimina vocum). This
would seem to be getting closer to Eytan’s query.

Best,

David Clampitt

School of Music

The Ohio State University