[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Fred Lerdahl awl1 at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 6 10:06:18 PDT 2009

Those interested in empirical results relevant to the perception of
hierarchical structures in music might take a look at F. Lerdahl & C.
L. Krumhansl (2007), "Modeling Tonal Tension," Music Perception, 24.4,
329-366. This paper submits the tension model in my book Tonal Pitch
Space to empirical investigation. Taking music from Bach to Messiaen,
we demonstrate that if tension predictions are calculated sequentially,
correlations between prediction and data are weak; but if they are done
hierarchically, correlations are strong. Thus untrained listeners hear
tonal music hierarchically. (This generalization does not hold in
highly chromatic passages for which listeners find it difficult to
infer a tonal schema.)

Another way to articulate this result is to say that, just as many
aspects of human behavior are unconscious, listeners do not directly
perceive hierarchy in music; rather, they experience hierarchy as waves
of tension and relaxation. Our tension method circumvents
methodological difficulties in previous attempts to test hierarchical
perception, such as Dibben's "foil" approach in the 1990s. Our musical
examples do not exceed 50 events, however. Once the tension model is
implemented computationally, it will be easier to address tension and
hierarchy in longer pieces. We have already shown that the perception
of hierarchical structures goes deeper in music than what is usually
supposed for language. But some of the very embedded structures
postulated in Schenker (and in GTTM) are surely difficult to perceive
without special training. Behind this question lies not only the hoary
distinction between competence and performance but also the issue of
artistic compared to everyday response. I doubt that the average person
on the street would find it easy to parse complex sentences in Proust
or Mann.

The related issue of recursion is fraught partly because the term is
used in different ways. Sometimes it is intended just to mean
hierarchy, but more correctly it means self-embedded structures. Music
manifests recursion, not only in pitch structure but also in grouping
and metrical structures. The issue of recursion would not be of
particular interest except for the high-profile and controversial paper
by Hauser, Chomsky, & Fitch in 2002 (Science, 298, 1569-1579) in which
they claim that the distinguishing feature of the narrow faculty of
language (i.e., not possessed by other faculties) is recursion. This
untenable claim arose out of Chomsky's recent "minimalist" theory of
syntax.

Fred Lerdahl
Columbia University
awl1 at columbia.edu