[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 08:38:15 PDT 2009

Dear Fred,

thank you very much for your encouraging  response. Indeed, tension/relaxation is intuitive in many musical cultures. It also exists in some educational systems as a logical component. I would like to bring an example of Boleslav Yavorsky's theory of lad rhythm, in which he defines the triton-based system, the product of equal division of an octave, an analogue of Arthur Berger's concept of  octatonic. One would expect this system to be devoid of tension-relaxation (after all, we are talking her about artificial modality, sets, collections, etc.) but he manages to retain the idea of resolution of the tritones. He call them sopryazhenie, which means simultaneous tension, coordination by tension. Tension in Russian is napryazhenie. So, even in cold spaces of artificial modality, there is tension and relaxation. When in late Scriabin, say in his Etude op 63 no 3, or in Guirlandes op 73, tension does not receive relaxation, the tritone is still
 ultimately tensed up and is waiting for a resolution.

Of course, in music of Palestrina and in Gregorian chant tension/relaxation model does not seem to play a major role, but in these cases we deal with textual-musical forms (the term of Valentina Kholopova), and in them tension and relaxation is done primarily in the lyrics. For example, teh sequence Victimae paschali  has a place of ultimate tension, on words Mors et Vita duello. However, even in this sequence, there is also a pattern in pitch structure which displays tension and relaxation: the first phrase begins on  Re and ends on Re, the second phrase begins on La and ends on Re, the third phrase begins on La and ends on La, the fourth phrase begins on LA and ends on Re, the fifth phrase, obviously an auxiliary one, begins on Fa and ends on Do, and the last phrase begins on Mi and ends on Re. The dialectics of finalis and repercussa, mediated by the Do as an embryonic form of the third function, is clearly expressed in Victimae paschali.

Palestrina's motet Nigra sum opens with a strangely familiar progression I  IV ( v ) V  I.
I am not implying Riemann here, just the idea of tension and relaxation curve.

Best wishes,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory