[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 12 08:54:31 PDT 2009

At closer inspection I need to discard this idea:

> I wonder wether in the study of reasoning, iteration could be a
> concatenation of deductions along the same rule, while (primitive)
> recursion could be a concatenation of abductions along the same rule.

Recursion - as a mode of access to some object - requires an
instantiation of other objects which are accessed in the same/
analogous way. Each intermediate instance is incomplete in the sense
that the missing component has to be accessed as another object in
this chain. However, the nature of incompleteness differs
dramatically from the incomplete knowledge in abduction. In abduction
(hypothesis ) it is a lack of evidence, rather than a lack of access
to some object. In deduction or abduction we may keep or "burn" the
intermediate premises, when we draw chains of conclusions. But in
recursion we need all intermediate instances at once.
best wishes
Thomas

Thomas Noll
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició
Tel (priv.):   +34 93 268 75 19
Tel (mobil): +34 66 368 12 02