[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 12 15:18:06 PDT 2009

Dear Nicolas,
If you could pardon my misunderstanding, I would like to ask about
the secondary tonics. If I understand it better now, it is the
concept of transitivity which turns chord-progressions into the focus
of the theory rather than simply chords in succession. The
progression as such can be compared to a transitive verb whose two
valences are saturated by two chords. From this view point I may
imagine a strategy to consider higher order dominants as trivalent
progressions, (or some theoretical derivative). With secondary tonics
it is harder to me to follow. When a tonic is considered as not
being  intransitive, what are its constituents then? E.g. Is it a
progression or a paradigmatic relation between two "tonic" chords
(without the necessity to appear in sequence)? Is I - vi a
manifestation of a transitive tonic?
Sincerely
Thomas

> But I do realize that the term "transitivity", as I use it, may
> lead to misunderstandings and I will think of abandoning it
> altogether.

Thomas Noll
http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll
noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona
Departament de Teoria i Composició
Tel (priv.):   +34 93 268 75 19
Tel (mobil): +34 66 368 12 02