[Smt-talk] rationalizing the octenary system

Eytan Agmon agmonz at 012.net.il
Fri Apr 17 06:18:33 PDT 2009

Nicolas,

Thanks for your thoughtful message. I look forward to reading your paper (hopefully my French is up to it!). In the meantime, here is a comment and a question.

Hucbald most certainly does not say A, B, and C can serve as finals. Even though a melody may end on the upper fifth, there is a clear distinction between the upper fifth and the final. On the other hand, Hucbald refers to “the four finals” D, E, F, and G so many times, that the exclusion of A, B, and C (for whatever reason), can hardly be missed.

In terms of your “emic” theory, why does Hucbald choose D-G as finals, rather than (say) E to a? The lower fourth that he supposedly needs will exist, and he will even be using a true tetrachord of the Greater Perfect System, rather than an arbitrary one.

Glarean, by the way, rejects a B-mode, due to the diminished fifth above the final.

Yours,

Eytan