[Smt-talk] Plagal cadence

Peter Schubert, Prof. peter.schubert at mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 22 13:30:27 PDT 2009

In a most repertoire the final is in fact approached by the usual 6-8 motions you describe, but the final is often sustained in one voice. This is the coda-like thing that Burmeister calls the supplementum - he says these motions "make it very clear that the ending has arrived" (Rivera's translation, p. 151 ). The so-called plagal cadence generally results from the oblique motions that occur while the final is being sustained. Sometimes the final is only virtually sustained, with all voices moving, but the effect is the same.

What I'd like to know is where this term occurs for the first time. I don't recall seeing it in any treatise in the sixteenth century or even the early 17th. My bet is French treatises from the late 17th-early 18th cc.

Peter Schubert, Chair

Department of Music Research

Schulich School of Music

McGill University