[Smt-talk] Theory of "Intercultural" Composition

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 11:17:55 PDT 2009

Thank you for asking!

Yes, I agree, then, with Fyodor, there have been some problems with the transcultural music and musicology and we are now solving them. I thought that I knew Russian ethnic traditions, but now I realize that the repertory is immense. Take any national tradition within former Soviet Union and you will find generations of composers and musicologist doing the intercultural work. Franghiz Ali-Zadeh is one that comes to mind. She writes that she does not care for the national aspect of music as such. She writes music in traditional forms and genres for traditional instruments, but I have never heard anything more informed about Maquam written for the string quartet than her String Quartet no. 3.

Or, another example, musicologist Michail Kondratiev from Chuvashi Republic, from Tcheboksary. This ethnos belongs to Finno-Ugric group, they are the most ancient inhabitants of the Volga River basin. He is considered an expert on ethnic music and folk music used by academic composers.

Zagis Ismagilov was a very bright star in Bashkirian Republic, his ballet Schurale, piano music, are very interesting. They combine the trends of Italian verismo aesthetics with nomadic musical art of the proto-Turcic tradition.

Among some more known examples, I can mention Sofia Gubaidulina, her Seven Last Words of Christ. This composition is written in response to Haydn's Seven Words, but she has chosen a very interesting combination of instruments, bayan and cello. Bayan is virtually unknown in the United States, but in Russia they play bayans in the villages. Not only Russians, but Tatars, Bashkirs and other ethnic groups highly value this tnstrument. Therefore, a hidden transcultural context of this composition is German-Tatar. She is Tatar by ethnicity, like myself.

In general, this direction seems very promising. Good luck researching this massive material.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov, Ph.D.
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
Editor of the International Division of
Music Scholarship/ Problemy Muzikal'noi Nauki