[Smt-talk] Plagal cadence

Peter Schubert, Prof. peter.schubert at mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 24 14:22:50 PDT 2009

Well, I took up the challenge and made a brief informal and frustrating survey. It's true that most of the time the final sonority after a phrygian cadence does come to rest eventually with E in the bass. There are some nice cadences with A in the bass in mid-piece (the beautiful and famous "Tulerunt Domine" of Michael of Verona in Glarean has one on the word "plangent"), but the only final cadence I found that has A in the bass under an E final is Josquin's "Credo vilayge."

Peter Schubert, Chair

Department of Music Research

Schulich School of Music

McGill University