[Smt-talk] Seeking an analysis partner

Isaac Malitz imalitz at omsmodel.com
Sun Aug 16 20:56:08 PDT 2009

I am looking for someone who would like to analyze one or more great
works of music with me.

We could choose to analyze anything from late-Beethoven up to the
present day that has received recognition as a great (or fairly-great)
work. My partner can choose the work.
(If the choice is up to me today, I would choose Beethoven "Grosse
Fugue". But next week I might choose something composed in the last 20
years)

Although I appreciate "mainstream" methods of analysis (e.g. Charles
Rosen is a personal favorite, and I like the Schenker approach to
analysis), my research interest involves new methods that go far beyond
the mainstream. My methods are compatible with the mainstream, but they
do a lot more (they draw on ideas in the field of Artificial
Intelligence,  among other things). To get an idea of what I have been
doing, go to   http://www.omsmodel.com/music/main/docs/toc.htm

What I propose to do with a partner is to select a great musical work,
and then jointly evaluate "what does it do" and "how it does it work".
I will try to apply my new methods to the analysis, but we won't limit
ourselves to a specific method. Hopefully we'll both learn a lot about
the music that we study, and also about methods of analysis.

I'm a Ph.D. in philosophy/logic (UCLA 1976) and also well-schooled in
music (studied piano with Aube Tzerko, who was a Schnabel student).  The
omsmodel.com project has been under development for about 5 years; and
the proposed musical analysis project is part of my efforts to develop
OMS further.

Please contact me directly via email or phone.

Isaac Malitz, Ph.D.
Independent researcher
imalitz at omsmodel.com
818-231-3965