[Smt-talk] Career placement rates for music majors

Murphy, Scott Brandon smurphy at ku.edu
Sat Aug 29 12:37:04 PDT 2009

Dearest friends and collective wisdom,

Do you have an idea where I can find, in published form, percentages of U.S.
(or North American) undergraduate music majors (or music graduates) who
subsequently find and maintain music-related careers?  I'm sure there are
several different answers depending on all sorts of variables, not to
mention the obscurities in defining "music-related career" and what it means
to "maintain" it.  I confess that, beyond skimming NASM's Web site, I have
not done any digging to find answers (the rough equivalent of calling NPR's
"Car Talk" before visiting the local mechanic), but I thought I would
nonetheless risk displaying both ignorance and sloth in asking for some
initial guidance from you.

Thanks in advance, and best wishes for a wonderful start to the fall term,

Scott

--
Scott Murphy
Associate Professor, Music Theory