[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

Walt Everett weverett at umich.edu
Sun Aug 30 17:57:33 PDT 2009

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Paul Steinbeck wrote:

> [. . .]  I think that the indigenous-ness of I-II-IV to the rock
> idiom can better be explained by guitar chord shapes and the
> importance of the guitar in rock composition. Guitar-influenced
> tonal practice, of course, also dominates many styles of classic and
> contemporary blues, but has not resulted (as far as I know) in any
> blues songs featuring I-II-IV (or transposed versions such as bVII-I-
> bIII).

A few thoughts on this . . . Guitar voicing sometimes plays a role in
these progressions, and sometimes the ear guides the hand.
"Yesterday" (the refrain of which concludes I - II - IV - I) has been
mentioned in this thread.  This song was composed at the piano but
recorded on guitar.  The song's opening sounds are a thirdless tonic
sonority moving down a half step to a thirdless ii of vi.  It's an
easy hand motion on guitar (played in G major on an instrument tuned a
whole step low), but it was created on the piano.  It lies equally
well on either instrument, but I know of no other pre-metal rock song
that moves from a thirdless I to a thirdless VII, even in a power-
chord context, so it's hard to say whether this progression is
"idiomatic" on guitar.  No other chord succession in "Yesterday,"
including the germane II - IV motion, takes advantage of parallel
guitar voicing.  "She's Leaving Home" is another McCartney use of II-
IV, and I would speculate that this was written at the piano as well.

The guitar voicing in "Proud Mary," which I mentioned in my previous
post, likewise dispenses with parallel chording in the bVII - V and
bIII - I motions, thus emphasizing the modal scale-degree respellings
through the changing hand positions. I do play the intro riff with
parallel voicings in moving from IV to bIII (barring G to F)--can any
other guitarists comment on this?  --walt everett

Walter Everett
Professor of Music
Chair, Department of Theory
The University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance
1100 Baits Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2085

weverett at umich.edu
voice: 734-763-2039