[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

Paul Steinbeck paul.steinbeck at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:17:36 PDT 2009

> I think I-II-IV belongs to a family of 025-based pentatonic-triad
> progressions like the blues "axe-fall" (IV-bIII-I), the "Green Onions" riff
> (I-bIII-IV), and similar dominant-based versions (I-bVII-V and V-bVII-I).

I don't see the family resemblance. The "025-based" progressions in songs
like "Green Onions" and "Hoochie Coochie Man" move (rootwise) along the
minor pentatonic scale of the home key, in an unambiguously bluesy [035]
fashion. The three roots involved in the I-II-IV progression do not, and the
pentatonic scale(s) they belong to point to other keys (IV and ii).