[Smt-talk] I-II-IV as a progression

Reed,Smith Alexander alexreed at ufl.edu
Sun Aug 30 20:51:08 PDT 2009

It was pointed out that the really striking feature here is the
II-IV move (as I-II is explicable in a number of contexts).  There
are of course classical precedents for some chromatic mediant
alterations like this in other contexts ?????the middle section of
Hugo Wolf's "In Dem Schatten Meiner Locken" springs to mind, with
its vacillation between D and F major, but the overriding key in
that piece is Bb, not C.  And I think it's important and telling
that in nearly every case we've brought up in this thread, the
resolution is back to I (and not to V, vii??, or something
weirder) -- even when it's delayed (see Jesus Jones's "Right Here
Right Now").

I am therefore not certain as to how connected the I II IV move is
to bVII I bIII -- though it sounds just fine going back to bVII,
I'm not sure I know of many uses of it; I'd love to see some
examples cited.

Within rock music I do suspect, however, that I II IV it has a lot
of kinship with a later move that shows up in a fair bit of 80s
and early 90s rock, in which an expected cadence from V to I
instead goes to bVII (see the final cadence of the theme song from
the TV show "Growing Pains").  In this case, the behavior is
certainly that of a deceptive cadence, which supports the notion
proposed earlier that the move to IV from II might be considered
deceptively as well.  Typically when this happens, the next chord
is IV (quickly voiced in "Growing Pains," and given more time in
other uses of the deceptive bVII, like Nine Inch Nails' "Something
I Can Never Have" or The Lemonheads' "It's a Shame About Ray."
This move would be analogous to the plagal resolution to I in the
songs by The Beatles and Donovan.

A note about Moore's suggestion that I II IV might be a third
substitution for I bVII IV -- the latter is sometimes called the
"double plagal" (assuming it resolves to I); this is then
analogous to suggesting that one could substitute a vi chord --
nay, a VI chord -- for the IV in a plagal cadence, which strikes
me as intuitively incorrect.  Both have the effect of a lessening
of tension on the arrival of the subdominant (due to the
respective chromaticism of II and bVII resolving down by half
step), but they seem to me as if they're coming at the IV with
quite difference baggage.

S. Alexander Reed, Ph.D.
University of Florida

alexreed at ufl.edu