[Smt-talk] Music Plagiarism Cases

Rob Bennett rob.bennett at okcu.edu
Fri Dec 18 07:06:07 PST 2009

In the 1980s, Huey Lewis and the News brought suit against Ray Parker,
Jr., over the prominent doubly-plagal riff shared by Lewis' "I Want a
New Drug" and Parker's slightly later "Ghostbusters." It is my
understanding that the two parties settled with an NDA in the mid-1990s.
I've also heard that Parker sued Lewis for breaching the NDA in speaking
with VH-1 a few years later.

This case is particularly interesting, since it concerns what might be
considered more of a very brief short harmonic-motivic element, as
opposed to a melody or sound recording. I could be wrong, but I believe
this means that the contentious one-measure fragment would normally not
be eligible for protection under US copyright law.

Rob Bennett
Oklahoma City University