[Smt-talk] Music Plagiarism Cases

karst de jong karstdj at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 20 01:08:24 PST 2009

Dear all,

I agree with Dr. Ildar Khannanov about Tchaikovsky being blatantly misused. A few years ago I was involved as an expert witness in a case of Danny Elfmann against a local TV commercial firm in Barcelona. Elfmann accused the firm of plagiarism, where it was obvious that both had been stealing heavily from Tchaikovsky (notably from the Nutcracker). I believe that Elfmann lost the case...

Best,

KARST DE JONG
professor of Music Theory and Improvisation
Royal Conservatoire of The Hague, The Netherlands
Escola Superior de Musica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain

karstdj at xs4all.nl
+34 667757020
+31 626796500