[Smt-talk] Music Plagiarism Cases

David Feurzeig mozojo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 07:08:31 PST 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Julia Proleiko wrote:

> The opening theme of Memory from Cats resembles the opening theme
> in the flute solo of California Dreaming by The Mamas & The Papas.
> It has also been compared to Ravel's Bolero.

I am not a big ALW fan myself, nor does he need any champions, but
this example is not striking. Such similarities are rife in tonal
music. They're probably mostly unintentional, and even if
intentional, short enough to be of dubious significance in terms of
artistic integrity.

Besides (IMHO), the opening melody of "Memory," the "California
Dreaming" flute solo, and the "Bolero" theme, are all really awful
tunes! Composers should get points, not demerits, if they can make
something of them. (I have a hunch Ravel would agree.)

David

David Feurzeig
University of Vermont
Music Department