[Smt-talk] Music Plagiarism Cases

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 08:21:19 PST 2009

Dear Jay,

thank you for the clarification. Now, I understand, that if you stole my wallet, it will be plagiarism; if I stole your wallet it will be the infringement of copyright. This reminds me a theological distinction: killing is OK, murdering is a punishable crime.
As for the moral and parody, these two things are incompatible. It is either the moral, or parody, one is not the other other side of another.
I have been watching Penguins of Madagascar last week. One of them dances for the Russkij Tanets from Shchelkunchik. It is suposed to be funny. A parody, so to speak. In fact, it is crucial for this CGA that everything should be funny.  It imposes the regime of fun, a strict taxinomy of fun making, laughter behind the barbed wire. Tchaikovsky's music is parodized, but that is just a side effect.
The most important aspect of this art is to be funny at all costs.

Please, do not tell me that there is nothing sacred in life for you. That there is nothing you would not make fun of.

However, if the crime of steaking and making fun of something which does not deserve it has happened, what should we do? How it is possible to punish the perpetrator? Imagine that someone has stolen a symphony from Mahler (as a result of murky manuscript business, for example). First of all,  our law is based primarily on ius talionis. In order to retaliate, or compensate for the loss, we have to establish  the scale of the damage. This is the question of what is the price tag on Mahler's symphony or Tchaikovsky's ballet. It is known how much has been paid for Penguins, but I am not sure about the price of Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Baltimore
ikhanna1 at jhmi.edu