[Smt-talk] Tritone subs and the subtonic neighbor

Michael Buchler mbuchler at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 11 12:08:21 PDT 2009

Dear Dmitri and all,

Sorry for coming late to this question. I don't claim much knowledge
of popular music from the 1920s and earlier, but it strikes me that
one songwriter who used a lot of sliding chromaticism was Irving
Berlin. His well-known song "Always" (1925) immediately comes to mind
as a place where he used sliding chromaticism as a clever (some might
say cheap) way to move away from or back to tonic. The one-bar
transition that takes us from "Days may not be fair, Always" to
"That's when I'll be there, Always" transports us from a tonic chord
in FM to V7 of ii via parallel motion dominant seventh chords (F7,
E7, Eb7, D7). On the one hand, we could write that off as a non-
functional passage, but we could also say that the last motion (the
return to functionality) represents a tritone substitution.

A better case can be found in Berlin's "All by Myself" (1921), which
ends with the progression CM, Am, Dm, Db7, CM (that's the last two
bars, comprising the second ending -- which means that it follows the
song's structural dominant. In other words, the tritone sub comes at
a place where plagal and authentic motions are both conventional.)

Again, I haven't looked at a lot of Berlin songs, but his music seems
like good territory to mine for such chromatic adventures.

Also, since Walt Everett brought up Frank Loesser's "Luck be a Lady"
from *Guys and Dolls* (1950), I can't help but chime in when he asks:

> "Luck Be a Lady Tonight" is built over a rumbling alternation of I
> and bII that I think carries on over a ^1 pedal (or maybe the pedal
> sustains in upper voices).  I hear neighbors in a modal context,
> but how many would hear this as necessarily a V sub?  (There may be
> others in the show; this example comes to mind first--my 13-yr-old
> was just Nicely Nicely Johnson for two perfs--boy, was that fun!)

There's no tonic pedal here -- at least not in the original
(consulting the published vocal score and the original handwritten
conductor's score) -- but that "rumbling alternation of I and bII"
certainly is there. I do hear that as an example of tritone sub, but
also as a persistent neighboring motion. I don't see why this would
be an either-or situation. Certainly we commonly call V65 both a
(weak) dominant and also a neighboring chord. I'd put this in the
same category; indeed, if anything, I think that the even-numbered
bars in the chorus of "Luck be a Lady" carry an even stronger
dominant function than do weak inverted dominants that prolong the
tonic through neighboring or passing motions, but that's just my
opinion. (Incidentally, kudos to Walt on raising a Nicely-Nicely --
I'm sure he rocked... the boat.)

I'll offer up two earlier Frank Loesser tritone subs, and then pose a
question of my own:

In the hit 1937 song "The Moon of Manakoora" (lyrics by Loesser,
music by Alfred Newman) from the film *The Hurricane,* there's lots
of pseudo exotic descending chromatic motion throughout the refrain
and the song ends with a bona fide tritone sub at "And you'll be in
my arms once more." But this is a case of a tritone substitute for a
secondary dominant (V7/V) rather than a tritone substitute of the
primary dominant (the song ends with the progression: B7, Bb7, EbM).
Some might protest that the B7 chord is merely a "misspelled" German
augmented-sixth chord. However, the voice leading conforms to my
expectations of tritone substitution. Again, I can hear the protests
that it's merely an augmented-sixth chord with an elided
resolution... but where do we draw the line? If we allow such beasts
into our pantheon of tritone subsitutions, then I think we could
easily look back to Victor Herbert and Rudolf Friml to find similar
substitutions. The only real difference involves placement within the
phrase (and that is a significant difference).

In Loesser's "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" (1947), there is a
very clear tritone sub in the transition from the first phrase of the
refrain to the second.  At bar 8 of the refrain, we have an imperfect
authentic cadence, landing on I6 (FM6), which slides down to Gm7
(ii7), Gb7(Vsub), and F (at bar 9, marking the beginning of the
second phrase).

I confess that I'm only bringing up that song as a transition to
another question. Frank Loesser sometimes used the subtonic triad as
a neighbor to the (major) tonic. In refrain measures 1-3 of "What Are
You Doing New Year's Eve," the harmonic progression is FM (tonic),
EbM, FM (lyrics: "Maybe it's much too early in the game, Ah, but I
thought I'd..."). He also used this subtonic neighbor even more
memorably at the beginning of "The Inch Worm" from *Hans Christian
Andersen* (1951) (lyrics: "Inch Worm [tonic], Inch Worm [subtonic],
Measuring the [tonic] marigolds [subtonic], You and your [tonic]...")

My question: does anyone here know how long the neighboring subtonic
has been used in popular music? Feel free to e-mail me privately.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael Buchler
Associate Professor of Music Theory
Florida State University College of Music