[Smt-talk] Composition pedagogy

David Stephenson davidgstephenson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:39:22 PDT 2009

Colleagues:

I am a high school music theory/composition teacher and Ph.D. candidate in
music education.  One of my research interests lies in the training of
composition teachers, and I would welcome information and discussion
regarding the area of "Composition Pedagogy."

Specific questions I have include:
1) Does formal training exist in the area of composition pedagogy (i.e.
techniques, curriculum, etc.)?
2) If so, in what format is this area taught?
3) Are there specific people who specialize in this area?
4) What are your experiences regarding the process of how you learned to
teach composition?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you!

--
David G. Stephenson
Ph.D. candidate in music education
davidgstephenson at gmail.com