[Smt-talk] Sequences

Dmitri Tymoczko dmitri at Princeton.EDU
Tue Mar 3 07:06:07 PST 2009

Thanks for the sequence suggestions, everybody.

Jay Hook also noted two other very clear ascending minor-third
sequences:

	1. Grieg, first Norwegian Dance, middle section.
	2. Tchaikovsky, Symphony 4, movement 2, m. 110

Interestingly, in almost all of the sequences mentioned so far, the
voice-leading is (mostly) parallel and ascending.  This suggests to
me that composers typically think of the ascending minor-third
sequence in harmonic rather than contrapuntal terms -- at least, they
don't seem to be interested in exploiting the potential for
*descending* voice leading.

A cool example of the "Waldstein" sequence C-G6-Bb-F6 is "Hey
Joe" (which I know only in the Hendrix version: C-G-D-A-E).  Here the
descending stepwise voice leading is very clear, both in the melody
and the upper guitar strings, and perhaps contributes to the mournful
"sinking" feeling ("I'm going down ...").  The effective-but-unusual
ascending fifths harmonies were always a bit of a mystery to me, but
they perhaps make more sense if you think in terms of voice leading.

DT

Dmitri Tymoczko
Associate Professor of Music
310 Woolworth Center
Princeton, NJ 08544-1007
(609) 258-4255 (ph), (609) 258-6793 (fax)
http://music.princeton.edu/~dmitri