[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Thomas Noll noll at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 22 11:03:18 PDT 2009

Dear Richard, dear all
many thanks for the vivid resonance to my posting and for the
particular links, examples and hints.
it was the intention of the organizer of the workshop in Berlin to
have concepts like iteration, repetition, hierarchy, recursion, self-
similarity etc. on the table and to consider their manifestations in
various fields with participants from various fields. The challenge
was of course to search for related meanings in different fields.

With regard to the connection with computer programming and music let
me mention the rhythmic trees in the software "OpenMusic" (as they
occur in the voice-objects of OM) as a nice instance: The very elegant
(!) implementation is based on a recursive concept of musical
duration. Simply speaking, a duration is a pair (d L), where d is a
number and L a (possibly empty) sequence of durations. I like this
example because it embodies essential syntactic aspects of
traditional rhythmic notation in terms of a context free Chomsky LL1-
grammar, namely the programing language LISP. I even tend to believe
that the OM developers noticed that traditional rhythmic notation
with embedded beams intellectually predates(!) the invention of
derivation trees by the 20th century grammarians.

it seems useful, but is not that easy, to formulate satisfactory
conditions of fulfillment for what might be called "true recursion"
in music.
In order to agree upon an instance of recursion it is perhaps
necessary to enter a formalized metalanguage. In a second phase of
the discussion different applications of recursive definitions to
musical objects would have to be compared and distinguished. A quite
general and flexible kind of concept with embodied recursion is what
Guerino Mazzola in "Topos of Music" (section 6.7) calls circular
denotators. The above definition of rhythmic tree in OM is circular,
for example. If we take Mazzola's attempt seriously we should say:
Whenever a music theorist deliberately uses a circular denotator in
order to identify a musical object, he/she takes responsibility for
involving an instance of recursion. But which ones are the "truly"
interesting cases for a cross-disciplinary discourse? That's my
question in this thread.

Following a common subdivision of syntactics we may decide to
distinguish between paradigmatic and syntagmatic recursion. David
Lewin's K-Net-tutorial (on the "Choral" in Schoenbergs Op.11 No.2 is
an instance of paradigmatic recursion, while formalized approaches to
Schenkerian Analysis (a recent one was presented by Alan Marsden and
Geraint Wiggins, CIM08, Thessaloniki) are candidates for instances of
syntagmatic recursion.
I fear a comparison with natural language cannot bypass the
differences in the constitution of paradigms and syntagms and the
particularities of their interaction.

Sincerely,
Thomas Noll

Thomas Noll