[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 11:10:55 PDT 2009

Dear Thomas,

I agree that both functional model and thematic-motivic extraction model will lead to discoveries in the area of recursion. Sorry for an unwanted advertisement, but my article on Bobrovsky's formal functions which will be published in Theoreia this summer addresses the issue of a ladder-like structural ascension of levels of functional elements initio-movere-terminus. This is done by Asafiev, Sposobin and Bobrovsky, I am just a messenger.

As for thematic-motivic work, although I agree that there is no distinct universal dictionary of musical ideas, I find it facinating how, say, on the first page of Beethoven's Sonata op. 2.no1/I everything seems to work in recursive logical way. The iambic idea in the fist two measures is not just a theme of a composition, but something which amounts to a law, or constitution. It cannot be translplanted to other works, but locally it provides the law & order for the whole movement. I would also call this Grundgestalt a functional recursion because it defines itself using its own characteristics. Everything else is produced from this iambic motive by well-formulated and rigorous operations (extraction, expansion, extension, contraction, inversion, transpostion, permutation, etc), embedded in the first two measures. I wonder if it is possible to formulate this first page in symbols used in logic?

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
JHU