[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Wayne Slawson ygm at yankgulchmusic.com
Tue Mar 24 12:16:31 PDT 2009

Re Meeùs's question:

>  Is Chomsky's idea of linguistic recursion merely that (Chomsky's
> idea), or is it a property of language?

I don't think there's a way of answering this definitively, just as
there is no way of proving that any theory about nature is true.  But
Chomsky's account of how nested relative clauses work---by
recursion---is simple (relatively), plausible, and adequate.
Actually, Chomsky makes the stronger claim that recursion is a
property of the human mind;  he should not be surprised if it turns
out that  another product of human thought, tonal music, seems to
exhibit recursion.

Wayne Slawson