[Smt-talk] COMPOSITION PEDAGOGY

TIMOTHY SULLIVAN trsullivan at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 26 18:51:12 PDT 2009

I will make some blunt statements regarding both teaching and creating art:
1. There is no reason to believe that an accomplished artist, regardless of discipline,has the ability to teach;2. There is no reason to believe that an accomplished teacher, regardless of discipline,has the ability to create art;3. There is reason to believe that an accomplished artist, who is also a trained teacher,or an accomplished teacher, who is also a trained artist, will have the ability to bothteach and create art.
The stance that artists can teach, simply because they are recognised as artists,is both arrogant and naive, as is the position that creating "art" can be taught byany qualified teacher.
University search committees look for accomplished artists, scientists, etc., but do not seek professors that have studied pedagogy, and I believe that this is a major failing. Many is the University course that fails the student because the professor is unable to TEACH. The hierarchy among universities is that "research" universities are superior to "teaching"universities. One seeks a teaching position in order to advance to a tenured professorshipwhere so that one no longer has to teach. What was the pretence of any importance attachedto teaching in the first place in such an attitude?
Studio artists replicate in others what they know and can do, they tend to mould theirstudents to their own interpretations, skill sets, philosophy, and so on. This may be doneentirely unconsciously, but given that the artist is an untrained teacher, he or she may have nopedagogic skills with which to avoid such an outcome. The application of "pedagogy" is absent here. The studio composer who teaches is similar in this  regard. They tend to pass along what they do know along with what they do not know, in their techniques, predilections, and often, prejudices.
Pedagogy is the craft of teaching. It is, I believe, a craft that should be learned/practisedby any/all those who would present themselves professionally as teachers, whether of piano, composition, music theory, music education or any other discipline.
Composition is both craft and art. The Craft involves much more than melody writing, counterpoint or orchestration, and the Art involves much more than analysis, imitation and experiment. Above all, the TEACHING of composition requires someone who is both artist and teacher, who can organise, integrate and elucidate a course of instructionalexperience for the student that systematically develops craft whilst scaffolding artisticexpression. This is indeed rare. For most students this is very much a "hit and miss" process,with many of the gaps that remain after the "Bachelor" or "Masters" degree, having to be filled in (or not) through self-study and through fortuitous discovery once they begin to "teach"others themselves.
Do not denigrate "pedagogy". Do not relegate it to "music education" or "music educators",lest you expose your own ignorance. Those who can teach, do, those who cannot, shouldnot.
Dr. Timothy SullivanComposer and TeacherToronto.