[Smt-talk] Classical Form and Recursion

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 17:33:06 PDT 2009

Dear Nicolas,

I apologize for being a bit straighforward with my definition of D, S, and T. Mine is not an absolute view. Well, of course, if it mirrors the absolute view of a voice leading model, in which everything is determined by adjacency, then, may be. The point is, however, that if 1 and 2 are determined by + and =, and + and = are determined by 1 and 2, then we are in le cercle vicieux. Harmony is determined by voice leading, voice leading is determined by harmony. Not that we have not been there, or, hermeneutic tram is unfamiliar to music theorists. However, there must be the way out of this cercle. Ths is why I suggested that Tonic is Tonic because it is Tonic. Dominant is Dominant, even if in many cases it is left unresolved (Wagner/Scriabin).  I side with Dmitri on the  exigency of multiple sources. He calls it compatibilism, I use heterogeneite and multiplicite. And the history of music shows us that the origins of our concepts are multiple. Some
 see counterpoint as diminution, others as primarily the  rules of intervals. A millenium was long enough to accomodate both.  There is a Pythagorean beginning, but also a khalifat influence. Plied nature, in other words.
In this sense, I see no problems identifying l'accord parfait not necessarly by its placement in the environment of other chords, but as a sort of religious-philosophical construct, pure perfection. This is how French textbooks define it: it is a combination of a perfect fifth and a third. Yes, it has numeric origin, but that math was different from our trivial attempts to measure and calculate. Then, in the 5th century B.C., One was a male, Two--a female, Three--perfection, Four--unity of life and death, Heavens and Earth, the fourfold. Later, in book 6 chapter 6 of Plotinus' Enneads (which has been ommitted from many translations as obscure and impertinent), we read that the Many is the One.  This is not to say, that l'accord parfait has nothing to do with dominant-tonique or/and the sous-dominant.. No, it may come into contact with these sonorities, but their interaction is not the ontological condition.

As for tonal spaces, regions and placement of chords, do we realize that we are dealing with poetic metaphors here? Yes, we want to talk about music in a precise and rigorous way, like mathematicians talk about their topics, but what can one do with temporal and essentially a-spatial character of music? When I listen to music, there is indeed, some sensory experience which is related to space. That is, the source of sound can be far or close to me. I can hear something in the back or in front of me. But this is not what you mean by musical space and it does not matter that much. Sound can make an impression of a figure and the background, but that is not what you mean by musical space. Notes  can be high or low? But here we stumble upon a poblem. The last statement is very problematic. In ancient Greek barus and oxun do not mean low and high. Rather, dark and wet against squeaky and unpleasant. In Tatarian and Bashkirian they are ache and k'olun,
 acidic and thick. High note is a metaphor of Christian eschatology, a relatively new thing. What you mean by tonal space is technical description of a playing surface (again very different on many instruments and non-existent in voice) and the paper and ink plane. As if Heidegger did not spent his life struggling with visual metaphors as a substitution in the question of Being and Husserl did not fight with transplanting terms from one scientific jargon to another.

One can listen to music with eyes closed, in complete darkness. This will shut down the visual metaphorization process, together with spatial determination. It will be dark there  like in the Mutterleib. It will be the real Lebenswelt of harmony, using the terms of Edmund Husserl. Tension, tone.. Audible space has been nicely described by Husserl in his Ideen. Maurice Merleau-Ponty went a step further in Le visible et l'invisible. Music can present the world without the Other.

Let us continue using visual metaphors, but let us also be cautious of their poetic-metaphoric character (I nod to Michael Spitzer).

Best,

ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
solfeggio7 at yahoo.com