[Smt-talk] Correction

dec2101 at columbia.edu dec2101 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 30 08:18:20 PDT 2009

Dear List,

In my post last night I wrote that "bathysphere" is derived from
_barys_. That's obviously wrong! (It was late!) That word comes from
the similar _bathys_ ("deep," also "high," like Latin _altus_ which
also means both depending on the speaker's position). My apologies!

-D.C.
David E. Cohen
Associate Professor of Music
Columbia University