[Smt-talk] Altered pitch, preserved contour

Fieldman, Hali FieldmanH at umkc.edu
Wed May 20 11:58:00 PDT 2009

When I talk to classes about maximal compositional use of minimal musical materials, I talk about motives as having specific and general properties: an ascending leap of a fifth is specifically that, and is also an ascending leap, and, most generally, a leap.  It can be treated so that its specific qualities are preserved under some operation, or so that its general qualities become generators of less-strictly-altered versions of themselves.  Obviously the idea isn't mine -- it's Schoenberg's, primarily -- and the language isn't technical (and perhaps not sufficiently precise, though it seems to work).  But it would serve to get your point across, I think.

Hali Fieldman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Coordinator of Music Theory
Conservatory of Music and Dance
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
816.235.2951 // fieldmanh at umkc.edu