[Smt-talk] Early Tritone Sub

ericlwen at aol.com ericlwen at aol.com
Thu May 28 05:32:10 PDT 2009

Hi Dmitri,

I'm assuming the passage you refer to in Rhapsody in Blue is the F-major "dominant-seventh" chord in bar 21 of the big E-major theme (Andantino moderato) that leads to a return of the main theme in bar 23. On the second half of bar 22 the C descends to B (with the bass F acting as a grace note to this B). What's unusual here is that the E-flat (the seventh of the F-major chord) becomes enharmonically transformed into a D-sharp (the third of the dominant).

A similar enharmonic transformation of the seventh of a flattened II7 into the leading-tone occurs in Brahms Intermezzo in B-flat minor, op.177 no.2. In bar 67, Brahms writes a "dominant-seventh" chord on B-natural (=2 in B-flat minor), and this leads, most expressively, to a V4/3 chord in bar 69. In the Brahms extract, I read the "dominant-seventh" chord on B-natural as a bII7 chord that is expanded through a sequence in seventh chords from a IV7 chord (bar 65).

Speaking of true dominant-seventh chords with a lowered fifth, what about bar 7 of the Passacaglia movement in Brahms's Fourth Symphony. Isn't this best understood as a V4/3 chord with F-sharp lowered to F-natural (cf. the Gershwin extract cited above).

Regards,

Eric Wen

Edward Aldwell Professor of Music

Mannes College of Music