[Smt-talk] Early Tritone Sub

Ildar Khannanov solfeggio7 at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 01:39:49 PDT 2009

Dear Dmitry,

If I may, I would like to though in my two cents. The tritone substitution, or, functional double, has been thoroughly discussed in the writings of late Jury Kholopov, in his Harmony, Theoretical Course. I cannot translate his extensive explanations of this phenomenon but can say that it has played a significant role in his concept of 20th-century harmony. As for composers, Scriabin's late period is founded on this idea. Also, early jazz is closely related to Russian Jewish folk tradition, so-called Odessa folklore. Gershwin comes to mind, as well as a number of other composers-singers, such as Utyesov, Dunayevski. This is just a hint at what you set as the question of 19th-century heritage.

Best,

Ildar Khannanov
Peabody Conservatory
ikhanna1 at jhmi.edu