[Smt-talk] Good Primer for First-Year Students on Gender in Music and Music Theory?

Reed,Smith Alexander alexreed at ufl.edu
Sun Nov 29 09:07:49 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues:

In the Theory 1 class that I teach, I occasionally hand out
enrichment essays for my students to read, hoping that by
absorbing and responding to them, the students will A.) broaden
their horizons of the kinds of questions that serious study of
music can engage, B.) see some intellectual light at the end of
the tunnel, in case they conceptually prefer debate and broad
contextualization to music theory's occasional tendency at its
lower levels to be full of "right/wrong" answers and labels, and
C.) show me a bit of their own personality through their

This usually goes very well; students have had very good
discussions about Babbitt's "Who Cares If You Listen," Taruskin's
"The Musical Mystique," and various popular audience writings by
Peter Kivy, Daniel Levitin, and others.

One frustration I have had for the last two years is the middling,
even hostile response I have gotten from students when I have
assigned Suzanne Cusick's "Feminist Theory, Music Theory, and the
Mind/Body Problem." All ideological questions aside, I suspect
that the assumptions it makes about its readers' experience with
both music and feminism simply make it not the best way to
introduce 18 year-olds to questions of gender as it relates to
music and music theory.

I would really like to assign a good introductory reading -- a
praxis through simple analysis would be fine -- that would get my
students thinking about these ideas. However, most of what I've
found in the literature (including a host of articles by McClary,
Maus, Hisama, Cusick, Parenti, Shepherd, Guck, and
Kielian-Gilbert) is similarly aimed at an audience with which I
cannot pretend my Theory 1 students meaningfully overlap yet.

So I'm asking whether anyone knows of a good, short, thoughtful
piece of writing that incorporates music theory and gender (or
even embodiment, in a gender-conscious perspective) in a way that
might successfully demonstrate to an 18 year-old that yes, in fact
this is a valid, relevant, and perhaps even necessary lens through
which to consider music.

I'm all ears, and very grateful.

Best wishes,

S. Alexander Reed