[Smt-talk] prog rock symphonies

Greg Karl curugroth at verizon.net
Sat Nov 28 12:26:04 PST 2009

Michael Morse asks several related questions about using the words
symphony and symphonic in describing works of progressive rock:

Morse: What do we gain, or achieve, or clarify by calling any of
these works "symphony"?

By _calling_ these works symphonies we probably achieve little and
clarify nothing. (I had the word symphony in the subject line only
because I was responding to a question from a colleague who sought
large-scale instrumental works of this kind, especially those with
symphonic dimensions, forces, or pretensions.) Yet there may be
something to gain by examining large-scale works of “alternative art
music” and traditional symphonic works in the same light. The point I
ultimately wish to make, however, is perhaps better approached by
first considering prog-rock in relation to Indian classical music.

Many of King Crimson’s free improvisations unfolded in a roughly
three-part pattern. (Hear the title track and “We’ll Let You Know”
from the album _Starless and Bible Black_, and “Providence” from
_Red_). The first part is inchoate, exploratory, and without clearly
defined meter. It establishes a mode; the second has a fixed tactus
and here melodic kernels tend to coalesce; the third is marked by the
entry of heavy drums and the setting of a definite groove. Now there
are clear parallels between this format and the alap-jod-gat pattern
of Indian music. A question arises: Did King Crimson consciously
adopt/adapt this format from a foreign tradition, or did it emerge
“naturally,” as an expedient in imposing order and a sense of
teleology during the act of improvisation--one obvious enough to have
occurred independently in multiple cultures? In the first case there
would be a mundane and culture-specific historiographic explanation.
In the second case one might be more inclined to see a universal
principal working at the heart of disparate improvisatory traditions.
But in any case, cross-cultural parallels of this kind potentially
raise interesting questions about what is essential or intentional
and what is merely contingent or pragmatic in the art of both cultures.

Now back to the original thread. Consider the two prog-rock works
from my list best fitting the symphonic bill in a formal sense: Soft
Machine’s _Virtually_ and King Crimson’s _Larks’ Tongues in Aspic_.
Both are thematically unified multimovement works with long dramatic
arcs. They create tension and conflict and ultimately resolution on a
grand scale. Given that they share a fundamental aesthetic
orientation with their symphonic counterparts (roughly, music as a
drama of inner life), it might be interesting to examine how they
create, develop and resolve their tensions and conflicts in light of
archetypal works of the classical repertoire. The two parts of
_Larks’ Tongues in Aspic_ on the eponymous album follow the familiar
struggle-to-victory archetype of Beethoven’s Fifth, but the
contrasting thematic elements creating dramatic oppositions in the
first movements arise out of completely different formal traditions
(popular song forms vs. sonata form). The four movements of
_Virtually_ play out a dramatic pattern with no parallels I am aware
of in the classical tradition, but it is a pattern that might
effectively be adapted to symphonic music (the first and final
movements are a prologue and epilogue whose principal motives are
related by retrograde inversion; the second movement is the main
locus of dramatic tension and in the third the plot culminates in an
epiphanic solo for fuzz bass by the work’s composer, Hugh Hopper.) It
would probably be impossible to determine what these formal
experiments in prog-rock owe to the classical symphonic tradition.
But it is interesting to me to see how similar aesthetic aims can be
approached from such disparate starting points and cultural
institutions.

As for what Professor Tymoczko had in mind when he asked for examples
of symphonic prog-rock, I have no idea.

Greg Karl
New York, NY
curugroth at verizon.net