[Smt-talk] Pieces contrary to the minor/major = sad/non-sad stereotype

Daniel Wolf djwolf at snafu.de
Thu Oct 1 10:37:22 PDT 2009

One of the best illustrations of this is the Gamelan Angklung repertoire
of Bali.  Most listeners coming from a western background find this
ensemble of miniature idiophones, tuned in a four-tone approximate
Do-Re-Mi-Sol scale to be light and cheerful in the extreme. However, for
Balinese, for whom Angklung is essential accompaniment to rituals
associated with cremation, the music is profoundly sad, nostalgic, and
anything but light in character.

I believe that there is no better description of the indeterminacy between
music and affect than that found in Gilbert Rouget's _Music and Trance_.
Rouget presents a diversity of examples showing the instrumentalisation of
music in elevated mental states (trance, enthusiasm, ecstasy etc.) but
also demonstrates that the _particular_ music or musical material used is
not determined.

Daniel Wolf
composer, Frankfurt