[Smt-talk] Pieces contrary to the minor/major = sad/non-sad stereotype

Emilio Renard renard_es at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 12:23:27 PDT 2009

Dear Randolph, I don´t agree with you. First, I woul like specity a little the things. I hear the measures 1-24 of Mozart's "Rondo Alla Turca" to be mainly "sad". These measures are in minor. After, I hear the masures 25-32 as cheerful. These measures are in major. After, I perceive the masures 32-40 sad, these are in minor, and so. I think that the fast tempo can counteract the feeling of the minor sections, but for me the effect of the mode is more strong than the effect of tempo, consequently the minor sections are sad for me.

On the other hand, I hear the aria "He Was Despised" in Handel's Messiah mainly as non-sad. However, I perceive some melodic and harmonic inflections as sad, per exemple, in measures 6-7 (these are tonal minorizations). I think that there is a emotional hierarchie. Again, the tempo and others elements can counteract a little the natural feeling of major mode, but for my perception, the feeling induced by the tonality is cleary more strong than the feeling induced by the tempo.
Best regads
(Please, excuse me my english).